Artichokes can be daunting for the home cook, here is a simple approach.
Artichokes can often seem daunting to the home cook, steaming is a pain, multi-step cooking processes that take a long are annoying, the results if you just try to grill them are a disaster. So many of us resort to eating these tasty and healthy treats only in a restaurant environment where in many cases they've been salted and buttered to the point of being pretty unhealthy. Well I have an answer, what follows below is a no-nonsense recipe for cooking tasty artichokes at home.
What You'll Need:
- A large stock pot of boiling water.
- Kosher Salt.
- Fresh ground pepper.
- 2 Cloves of garlic chopped.
- Half a red onion sliced.
- 1 Artichoke.
What You'll Do:
- Fill the large pot with water to within a couple inches of the top, cover it and turn the stove on high (it takes a while to boil this much water).
- Peel and rough chop the garlic.
- Peel and slice the onion (nothing to fine on either these just get it done).
- Add the garlic and onion to the pot 9before it boils is fine).
- Once the water is boiling at several generous pinches of kosher salt like you would if you were making pasta.
- Grind in some fresh pepper to the water.
- For the Artichoke cut the stem off about 3/4th of an inch from the fruit and cut the top off as pictured above, paying some attention to remove any spikes.
- Drop the artichoke into the boiling water for about 45 minutes, or until the leaves pull off and the flesh removes easily from the leaves.
- Once cooked remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
There you have it not the shortest recipe because of the cook time, but this is something you do not need to tend to, it can simply boil away while you go about your evening. We'd suggest enjoying it with our Greek Yogurt Dip.