Every summer home gardeners under take on the annual project of growing tomatoes and despite challenges many come back to the project year after year. Why? Simply because the product is so much better than what is available in stores. Growing tomatoes is not without its challenges, if you have tried before and not been happy with the: yields, fruit quality, or flavor – may I present a yard gadget to you: The “Tomato Success Kit” from Gardeners.com found here. For even the most inexperienced of gardeners this kit results in huge numbers of tomatoes, even growth, even watering, and minimal issues.
The set up is simple, it consists of several elements designed to minimize common tomato growing challenges:
– In the bottom of what looks to be the opt above is a reservoir that you fill from the side – this means water is not hitting your plants. Watering from below minimizes growth of funguses and issues like leathery leaves.
– The reservoir is separated from the soil (a peat moss like substance) by a permeable plastic barrier that the plant roots grow through. This approach ensures better and more even uptake of water reducing issues like blossom end rot.
– The soil is designed to retain and evenly distribute the maximum amount of moisture combine with a good organic fertilizer this maximizes plat growth.
– The plants are sounded by a 4 sided boxed cage which gives them structure as they rapidly grow, extra cages can be added or indeterminate varietals.
– You can order soil refill and fertilizer packs so that the kit can be reused season after season.
If you are curious about growing tomatoes, or have tried in the past and been unhappy with your results this “Tomato Success kit” is the way to go.
Oh and one parting thought – I find growing smaller cherry style tomatoes is easier if you live in hot climates.