As the holidays roll around a little eggnog is always a crowd pleaser, well at least for part of the crowd. So for those folks and for myself I have been trying out different eggnog recipes for years trying to settle on that perfect version. After all of my trial and error here is the Life Home Living Holiday recommended eggnog recipe for the holidays:
What You’ll Need:
– 12 Egg Yolks (splurge for good cage free eggs it makes a noticeable difference).
– 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon.
– 5 whole cloves.
– 4 cups of 2% milk (ultra pasteurized is harder to curdle so it is a safe way to go).
– 1.25 Cups of granulated white sugar.
– 3/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
– 2.75 cups of good Spiced Rum (Mt. Gay is my personal favorite)
– 3.75 cups of light cream.
– 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
What You’ll Do:
1.) In a large sauce pan that is not yet on the stove, add:
– – 4 cups of Milk
– – 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– – 5 Whole Cloves
– – All the Cinnamon
Place over heat and bring this mixture very slowly to a boil.
2.) Separately in a large bowl combine the following ingredients:
– – The Egg Yolks.
– – The Sugar.
Whisk these together until they are fluffy.
3.) Then whisk the hot milk mixture into the large bowl, pouring it back into the saucepan when you are done.
4.) Place this back on the over and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes making sure not to let the mixture boil (or it may curdle), stir constantly while doing this. Then turn off the heat and let it cool for a few hours.
5.) Then Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg.
6.) Refrigerate all of this overnight before serving.
There you have it a killer holiday eggnog recipe for those fans out there.